Sunday, November 16, 2008

Crispy Beer Battered Shrimp Fritters with Ale Gastrique and a Fall Slaw

I entered a contest at my school, which wanted us to incorporate Allagash Black beer into a recipe. Unfortunately I wasn’t selected, but I think this recipe is still delicious. Feel free to use any stout like beer. And if you want other recipes that include beer check out their website: www.allagash.com. I also want to thank my cousin David, for helping me develop the recipe.

Crispy Beer Battered Shrimp Fritters with Allagash Black Gastrique and a Fall Slaw
This delicious yet sophisticated appetizer is sure to please anyone. The tarragon vinaigrette slaw highlights this season crop of winter roots: carrots, celery root, fennel and cabbage. The ale gastrique is a balance between rich, sweet, sour. And you can use the rest of the beer in your batter.

SHRIMP FRITTERS
1 cup flour
1 egg beaten
1 ½ cup Allagash Black Ale
1 cup chopped scallions
Canola oil 2 quarts
18 16-20 count Gulf Prawns (or rock shrimp), de-shelled –deveined and cut in half width wise
Salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste

ALE GASTRIQUE
2 tablespoons shallots
2 tablespoon + 2 tsp. honey
2 cup Allagash Black Ale
2 tsp. vinegar
Salt to taste
1 tsp. canola oil

SLAW
2 ½ cups shredded cabbage
1 ½ cup shredded carrot
1 ½ cup shredded celeriac or celery root
1 cup thinly sliced sweet red onion
1 ½ cup shaved fennel

VINAIGRETTE
1 tsp mayonnaise (homemade or store bought)
5 tsp vinegar
½ cup olive oil
2 tsp. finely chopped tarragon
Salt and pepper to taste

Shrimp Fritters:

1. Clean and Cut shrimp season with salt and cayenne to taste.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, egg, scallions and beer and whisk to combine. Let the batter rest ½ hour to an hour before using.
3. Fill a pot with canola oil, at least 5 inches up the pot. Heat over medium high heat.
4. When oil reaches 360, batter shrimp, by placing each piece in the batter and then place in the hot oil, deep fry, about 2 minutes.
5. Place on paper towel to absorb excess oil and sprinkle salt while hot.
6. Cut in half for presentation.

Slaw:

1. Use a mandoline to shred all ingredients.
2. Combine celery root, fennel, carrot, onion and cabbage in a bowl.
3. Toss with vinaigrette

Vinaigrette:

1. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, red wine vinegar and finely chopped tarragon. Add salt to taste.
2. Slowly whisk in olive oil to form an emulsion. Adjust seasoning and toss to coat slaw. If extra, reserve for another use.

Ale Gastrique:

1. Coat bottom of a small pot with oil. Heat oil.
2. Add diced shallots and sauté until slightly caramelized.
3. Add honey.
4. Add beer and reduce down until it makes a thick syrup
5. When the consistency is achieved, adjust seasoning with salt
6. Add the vinegar and take off the heat

Note: In order for the freshest fritters follow this order:
1. Heat oil and make batter
2. Start ale gastrique
3. Make slaw
4. Deep fry fritters
5. Finish ale gastrique
6. Plate

This is sure to impress , a sohpisticated way to use beer and a perfect appetizer for the holiday!

11 comments:

Heather said...

wow! this looks delicious! i love the ale gastrique! beer battered anything will always grab my heart :)

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

you know....I do want to do some more beer cooking.

Anonymous said...

oh my..I hate that I read this while I'm starving

Deanna S. said...

Yum...this looks delish! The tang of the slaw with the richness of the shrimp is a nice combo. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What kind of school are you going to? I love these kind of contests.. but with beer!? Even better!

You did a great job, i love the beer gastrique. Here you go, first prize for you... yes, you deserve it. :-)

Manger La Ville said...

I go to Institute of Culinary Education in NYC. First prize would have been nice, money towards my school. But I got to cook with beer something I don't normally do.

MrOrph said...

How could you not be chosen? This is a really clever dish.

I'm on board with beer battered anything!

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe your recipe wasn't chosen! Your recipe is so creative and original, and it looks delicious!

Manger La Ville said...

Everyone: thanks for the support!!! I wish I got chosen too but now I get to grace you all with a wonderful recipe.

test it comm said...

Beer battered shrimp sounds great!

Lori Lynn said...

Oh gee, that sounds excellent. What nice combinations of flavors. I should cook with beer more often, it certainly adds another dimension to the dishes.