Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TARTINE Galettes and A Contest to Win the COOKBOOK!

Tartine is a San Francisco establishment and rightfully so. But because of long lines and inconvenient location (at least for a Sunset girl), I opted to buy the cookbook and make some of their delicious treats. Last summer, I attempted the chocolate-layered ganache cake with caramel filling. But for a simpler fare, I recently made fruit galettes. You can make them with an assortment of fillings. I made a Gravenstein (Sebastopol) apple galette and two nectarine and strawberry galettes. The mixed stone fruit and berries made a nice pairing, plus I added some vanilla bean (from the pod) to give it a warm balanced taste. The crust is amazing. It is all about technique. Rolling out the butter makes the butter long and thin giving the crust a delicious flakiness and tenderness. I then sprinkled the crust with turbinado sugar, to give it a nice texture and color.
I would love to give you this recipe, but here’s the deal, it is about three pages long. The recipe itself is not that long but the explanation about technique and chilling (which are key) take a while. So, I am giving away a Tartine cookbook to the person who writes the most comments on my blog (incentive for you to read it and be rewarded!)
Here are the conditions for the CONTEST!
There is a 5 comment minimum to be considered. So no, if you comment once and you are the only person, you can’t win.
It will be tallied for a one-month period starting today.
I will email the winner, and get your address and I will send you a cookbook.
P.S There will not be a tie, so if you are tied, I might judge the quality of comments not only the quantity.

SO here’s to commenting and to good baking!

7 comments:

Learn New Things said...

Looks delicious!

Manger La Ville said...

THEY were, but I think you know that better than anyone!

skp said...

The tarts are beautiful. Galettes are my favorite--I love the homemade, rustic look. And so true about the crust. It's all in the technique--and maybe a bit of natural talent, too. I think I'm going to have to make one very soon.

Manger La Ville said...

I bet yours will be amazing, I still lust after the concord grape pies you made.
You should be a guest blogger and write about your fabulous pies.

hms said...

I love reading your blog! Well written and very creative! Keep up the good work!

Manger La Ville said...

Thanks...I love the encouragement. Keep blogging!

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

Ooh, I went to Tartine when I was in SF, and LOVED their pastries. Ooh, the morning bun! I hope I win the cookbook!