Sunday, December 7, 2008

Buttery Biscuits, just like EGG

Inspired by the delicious biscuits from EGG, I was on the mission to recreate it. I wanted that buttery, mile high, flaky and tender biscuit that I munched on just a few weeks ago. After scouring the Internet (ohh.. Internet, you supply me with endless recipes), I stumbled upon a true perfect biscuit. Click here for the recipe. I use lots of sweet butter. Make sure that the butter is as cold as possible and don’t overwork it. The butter should remain in pea size chunks in order to give it its flakiness. And remember, do not over-roll, the biscuits should be nice and thick.

I served these delicious biscuits with orange butter (which was made from a simple syrup with orange zest and a little juice) and maple butter (maple syrup). But endless variations can be made, or simply top with fried chicken, or incorporate some chopped chives into the batter. This biscuit is one I can stand behind or at least eat about ten. Does it match up to Egg, it was pretty close, and you know until I get their secret recipe this is good enough for me.

What would you add to the dough? And what would you serve them with? And if you have a recipe to beat, please send it along.

17 comments:

Amanda said...

my husband and kids LOVE flaky biscuits. I prefer soft dinner rolls myself. :) Either way these look really good!

grace said...

oh my. these biscuits are just perfect for slathering with gravy, or butter and jelly, or strawberries and whipped cream. perfect. :)

Heather said...

i ate at farrah olivia a few months ago, in alexandria, va, and chef morreau made this mango butter that was out of this world. it was real butter sweetened with mango juice, honey, and lime, and then had a little salt. i dream about that butter.

these biscuits look fabulous. i've never tried biscuits. they're on my list!!

Manger La Ville said...

Amanda: I like soft dinner rolls as well.
Grace: That sounds delicious, gravy is soo good.
Heather: that mango butter sounds divine, no wonder you dream about it.

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

I love buttery flaky biscuits! When you dine at BLT Fish, they give you their recipe for Cheddar Chive Biscuits, which are so good!, but I seem to have misplaced it. I'll keep looking....

Manger La Ville said...

Jessica: those sound soo good. Did you like BLT fish, I have been meaning to try it.

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

I do like BLT Fish but I stick with raw bar and gnocchi. The entrees are not as good.

shavedicesundays said...

These look so perfect! Would love to try them someday.

MrOrph said...

Those are some perfect biscuits! I love a good biscuit either with breakfast, slathered in gravy, or with a good comfort homey dinner like meatloaf or fried chicken.

Nicely done Abby!

Manger La Ville said...

That means a lot from you! Thanks Mr. Orph

hms said...

yum! i recognize that rolling pin and cutting board!!

test it comm said...

Those biscuits look perfect!

Anonymous said...

Can't beat those. You did a fantastic job. Can you believe i never actually made biscuits? Shameful i know. You have inspired me to take the step.

btw: regarding the scallops i answered in the comments on my blog. If you can't find them, email me.

Unknown said...

how amazing!!! looks so yum... :)

Manger La Ville said...

Ruth: Thanks for reading. I am glad you made yourself known!
Zen Chef: Thanks for answering my question

Lori Lynn said...

Love the first photo, captures all the lovely flakiness.

What would I serve them with?
New Orleans coffee with chicory, pure white goat's milk butter, and tupelo honey.

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

i am a biscuit addict and these look perfect!