Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pumpkin Gnocchi with Brown Butter and Sage

During the holiday season, there is no shortage of pumpkin puree, whether a can or freshly pureed. With extra pumpkin, I decided to make gnocchi. I always eat gnocchi when I go out, like the ricotta gnocchi at Zuni’s or chard gnocchi at CafĂ© Eloise, but I have never attempted to make it myself. There are different methods to making it. I made a pate-a-choux type dough, cooking in a pot, until it forms a smooth orange ball. This is the recipe I used as a basis for my pumpkin gnocchi. In this recipe, they use shaved white truffles in their brown butter. I was not so fortunate to acquire these. Rolling out all the gnocchi took some work, but it was well worth it. The gnocchi turned out excellent, delicate soft pillow with a wonderful pumpkin flavor. The sage gets nice and crispy and imparts an earthy herbal tone to the nutty butter. Brown butter is simply with the milk fats becoming caramelized, this doesn’t mean burnt, but brown, smelling nutty and fragrant not acrid. The only challenge in the dish is trying to serve a crowd at the same time, due to the fact you need to cook the gnocchi in batches. If you have a solution, other than making people wait, let me know. And enjoy some gnocchi!

13 comments:

Vera said...

These look amazing! And the flavor combination is simply perfect!

grace said...

well, now i've seen it all! orange gnocchi? awesome--very imaginative and undoubtedly delicious. :)

Nic said...

Mmmm... looks so good. I wish I could have a plateful for my lunch!

Heather said...

mmmm, i love gnocchi! this looks delicious! the brown butter sauce sounds super tasty :)

Dewi said...

Absolutely fabulous, I'd like to make this gnocchi one day. This is such a wonderful classic combo, pumpkin, sage and brown butter always great with winter squash or pumpkin.
Cheers,
Elra

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I want some right now! I absolutely love gnocci. One of my favs. I'll have to make this soon. And you can't beat the brown butter sauce. Best way to go.

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

Mmm, I can just imagine these melting in my mouth. yum!

MrOrph said...

I love gnocchi! These look great Abby.

Vera said...

Abby, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Lori Lynn said...

I love the pale orange color of the gnocchi and fried sage is one of my favorites! Very nice!

I hope you are enjoying the holidays and wish you a magnificent 2009!

LL

test it comm said...

This is one of my favorites!! It is such a great flavour combination. It is a bit of work but it is well worth it.

Have a great new year!

Anonymous said...

This brought back many memories of childhood. My family always made these in the fall. Can I order them to go?

Deeba PAB said...

What a rocking combination...YUM!!